We encourage all members to be aware of the following tips and always remember Limerick & District Credit Union will NEVER send you messages requesting you to click a link to review or block a fraudulent transaction on your account or advise that you are locked out of your account. If in doubt, ring the Credit Union directly on 061 455831 or email email@example.com.
Please read about the types of links that Limerick & District Credit Union will send you in emails and text messages and the types of links we use in social media below. Never click on a link in a communication unless you are sure that it is genuine.
Top Tips to be fraud aware:
- Limerick & District Credit Union will NEVER call, email or text you asking you to provide your one time passcode or debit card information in order to confirm a recent transaction.
- Limerick & District Credit Union will NEVER send you messages requesting you to click a link to review or block a fraudulent transaction on your account or advise that you are locked out of your account.
- Limerick & District Credit Union will NEVER ask you for the full 16 digits of your debit card number over the phone.
- NEVER divulge your One Time Passcode (OTP) for card transactions or when you are setting up Apple or Google Pay onto a smart phone.
- If you have doubts about the validity of the caller, simply hang up and source the phone number for that company to make contact.
- Limerick & District Credit Union will never email and ask you to enter your debit card number, login details or any personal information anywhere. If you are in doubt, always delete emails of this nature.
Don’t forget if in doubt, hang up and call us on 061 455831.
The type of communications that Limerick & District Credit Union issues to its members.
Limerick & District Credit Union regularly sends communications to its members by text or email.
We send two types of communications: Marketing messages and Service messages.
Marketing messages are sent from time to time regarding new services and products. These communications may be sent by text or by email.
These communications are sent to all members that have an email address or mobile number attached to their account. NEVER click on a link unless you are 100% sure it is genuine – we recommend searching for the website through search engines.
Service messages are sent to inform members of an unexpected issue arising, which may cause a disruption to normal service. These communications are sent to all members that have an email address or mobile number attached to their account.
We will never send a link in these communications to direct a member to Limerick & District Credit Union’s Online Banking Portal.
Financial fraudsters use phone, texts and emails to commit financial crime, these frauds are becoming increasingly sophisticated.
Your best defence is to stay informed, alert and secure. Never click on a link in a communication unless you are sure that it is genuine.
This is how Limerick & District Credit Union sends links to its membership.
Text Messages: We will never send you a link in a text message. Links in text messages cannot be checked to see if they are genuine. There will always be an opt out number to text in a marketing message.
Please see Fraudsmart.ie advice on text and phone fraud here, please read carefully: https://www.fraudsmart.ie/personal/fraud-scams/phone-fraud/
Email Messages: When we include links in email messages, they will always be in the long form. If we use a button such as click here to apply, it will have the long form of the link seen if the person reading hovers over the button.
Please see Fraudsmart.ie advice on email fraud here, please read carefully:
Social Media Links: We include links in our social media advertising and posts. These links will always be in long form and can be identified as leading to Limerick & District Credit Union’s website. These will not be in a short form where you cannot identify that it is leading to Limerick & District Credit Unions website.
Please see Fraudsmart.ie advice here on advertising scams and online fraud: Please read carefully.
- Advertising Scams: https://www.fraudsmart.ie/personal/fraud-scams/advertising-scams/
- Online Fraud: https://www.fraudsmart.ie/personal/fraud-scams/online-fraud/
The Central Bank of Ireland has some great information on their website about how to protect yourself against financial Fraud.
Who to contact if you suspect that you have received a fraudulent or suspicious message from Limerick & District Credit Union.
- Contact Limerick & District Credit Union: 061 455831 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you suspect fraud on your Current Account, contact card services 24/7 on 01 693 3333.
- Contact your bank immediately if you think you have given your bank account details mistakenly.
- Contact your local Garda Station: You will find your nearest one here https://www.garda.ie/en/contact-us/station-directory/
- Contact the National Cyber Security Centre here: email@example.com